Skip to main content

Clementines

A winter day in Paris, early 1991.  Shopping the marché rue de Buci in the 6eme arrondissement with my mom, on the prowl for impromptu breakfast to go.  Warm pain aux raisins, light and soft and sticky; seasonal clementines, tiny orbs of sunshine in our cold hands.  I was living there at the time, a student and also working as a "stagière" (intern) in the European headquarters of a software industry association.  My mom came to visit for a while, keeping at bay any homesickness, giving a respite from the constant efforts of negotiating another language, another culture.  She and I set out for a day trip.  Leaving the Gare Saint Lazare on a train bound for Rouen, we settled in for one of the most memorable meals of my life: the richness of the pastry cut by the juicy sweet tang of citrus; an explosion of taste inside our mouths as we bit the fruit, released it from its skin; exclaiming "Mmm..." and "Ooooh..." and "Look!" as the French landscape rolled by outside the window.  The rhythmic clicking of the tracks, and a small bagged breakfast passed back and forth between us.  It was a rare moment of knowing, in the moment itself, that we were blessed with the best life had to offer.  In the simplicity of our meal and the complex comfort of our being together, a lifelong memory—a touchstone—was created.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tap Root Manuscript

Here is an early music memory: I am very young. If not still a toddler, then not much older. I am running around the living room, squealing with unrestrained delight, while my dad chases me to the tune of "I Am the Lion" by Neil Diamond (Ba-pa-la ding-ga!). He's reached deep down and pulled out his big baritone voice—the one he also used for "Old Man River" on occasion; the one that always awed me. It's the early 1970s, and although hopelessly pop and showy, there is no shame in liking Neil Diamond. Not at this time. Later, I'd go through nearly two decades of keeping this (admittedly) often schmaltzy artist at more than arm's length. When I bothered to remember Neil Diamond, which generally I didn't, I thought of him more like a skeleton in my musical closet; a dirty little secret that, if exposed, would set me up for some heavy razzing from friends. I don't remember when it was that I recovered my dad's Tap Root Manuscript album. It wa...

Keith Jarrett, Carnegie Hall

It was only last night, but already it rates among my most powerful memories—one I know will reverberate down time's lonely corridors, enduring where the daily slush of logistical life (thankfully) does not. Yesterday contained plenty of logistical craziness, but by 8:00 PM I was seated in the last row of the dress circle at Carnegie Hall next to my father, looking down on a stage empty but for a single piano, a bench, and a collection of microphones wired for the live recording of Keith Jarrett's solo improvisational performance. I have always loved these charged moments of anticipation before a performance, and I expected this concert to be something special—that much more so because the tickets came through a friend of a very dear friend in California, a last-minute opportunity to be seized, and because a love of Keith Jarrett was transmitted to me by my father, and this was a great way to thank him for bringing awareness of this man's music into my life. But this is all...

S.A.R.T.

It's late at night, and you're alone in your apartment, tired but on high alert, unable to sleep. In the dark, you pray. Despite the fact that at this time in your life you would never describe yourself as a "religious" person, it is definitely a true prayer, not the bargaining offer of an exchange ( I'll reform, if only . . . ); you are not the one in need. You are the one whose job it is to help those in crisis, and although you signed up for this gig, you wish desperately that your job didn't exist, wasn't needed—not tonight, not anytime. Not while you are the volunteer on call, committed to driving at whatever hour of the night to whatever hospital emergency room phones in a case of sexual assault. Given that a possible career in criminal law was what brought me to St. Louis, it's easy to see how I found my way to S.A.R.T., the city's Sexual Assault Response Team. The program was (still is) based out of the Metro St. Louis Y.W.C.A. For voluntee...